Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Pig Tales And The Power of Childhood Memories

This morning we went on a perilous trip to ride "The Pink Pig" at Lenox Mall. There were bad thunderstorms all over Atlanta but the thought of staying home with the headache I had was terrifying. I was so excited to take part in this Atlanta tradition once again. I knew that I was probably going to be disapointed by it's current location since I remember The Pig being on top of Macy's in downtown Atlanta. But I was feeling nostalgic about this part of Atlanta history so off we trecked through the driving wind and rain. The line was short since it was a Wednesday morning and we road the train for about 5minutes to the tune of 3 dollars per person. It is hard to say if it is my perspective as an adult or if The Pink Pig really isn't all that cool. It is now in a tent on top of the parking garage at Lenox Mall. Somehow it is less charming than the monorail ride that once was above Macy's in downtown Atlanta and prior to that gave a great view of the toy department from the ceiling of the store. (Brilliant marketing by the way) I also wonder if the boys will have as fond a memory of the Pig as I did seeing as it is Pink! They don't really care about that kind of stereotypical stuff right now but going forward will their "boy filters" color their percepeption of this memory. The kids have been talking about the "Pig choo-choo" all morning and I think they had a good time. They liked wearing the stickers too. What strikes me is the fact that the power of a childhood memory can drag a grown woman and her two children out of the house on a blustery fall day down to Buckhead to ride on a pink pig.

No comments: