Monday, September 15, 2008

Politics, Thunderstorms and Three Year Olds

Is it just me or is anyone else concerned about the extremism in the presidential race these days? We now have set up a scenerio where there are two polar oposites running against each other. This cannot be good. In Georgia we know what happens when warm moist air and a cold front collide...hellfire and brimstone in the form of thunder and lightening.


Obama and Palin have both had some "splainin' to do" about their religious affiliations. Maybe there is too much spin involved and maybe it is too late and I am reading too much into all of this but it just leaves me more than a little uneasy. I feel like this race is starting to disolve into a debate about dogma instead of democracy. I'm afraid that this election might be determined by 20 second sound bites and catch phrases. As an aside...I found a web site that rates the top 100 catch phrases. http://www.tvland.com/originals/catchphrases/quotes.jhtml I think it is hillarious that "Ask not what your country can do for you" is right ahead of "D'oh". Kind of sums up why we are in this situation today.


Speaking of volatile conditions Adam was absolutely insane today. I really don't know what I am doing wrong. Just a highlight.... We were at the post office with a line a mile long where I needed to wait to send this &%$#*&% package back to Disney. Adam was all over the place and Tristan was in the stroller. I didn't think that he was bothering anybody so while I was filling out the certified mail slip (and becoming certifiable myself) I let him wander a bit while keeping an eye on him. Some well meaning good citizens in line went and tried to coerce him back to me. He came back over to my side briefly but I was having to speak to him every 10 seconds about something he shouldn't be doing. One of the ladies who was trying to corral him said, "He needs to work on his listening skills just a little bit don't ya think." I just looked at her and said, "Yeah, thanks for the tip" Then she says "I don't want to embarass you". I thought to myself, "I'm not embarassed, I didn't do anything, he is a three year old and you are annoying". Ooooh storm clouds were a brewin'!! Electricity in the air.


By the time I got to the front of the line I found that I couldn't send the package certified mail unless I payed for the whole thing myself. (I had already waited for 2 weeks to get this stupid pre-paid label) So I just dropped the package in the mail which is what I could have done 2 days beforehand. Ugghhh. I still was calm at this point and not letting anything get to me. Then naptime came. Adam is just testing me to the absolute brink. I can't even really talk about it I am so just at my wit's end.


For some reason for the past couple of days I have been waiting for storm clouds which never seem to come. The heat and humidity just seem to linger and I am so tired of summer. The forecast says that cooler temperatures are on the way tomorrow but I still sit and wait for my thunderstorm. What is it in us that craves the collision of light and dark, hot and cold, right and wrong. It seems sometimes only in conflict can we usher in a new day. I long to feel the peace of passivity and non-resistance in my heart, in my home and in my country not the harshness of a battle of wills and ideology.


If there is light in the soul, there will be beauty in the person. If there is beauty in the person, there will be harmony in the house. If there is harmony in the house, there will be order in the nation. If there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world. (Chinese proverb)

No comments: